Of Psychologist, Psychiatrist and Psychoanalysts

Psychologist are experts who help people with mental problems.The difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist when it comes to treating depression is that one is a medical doctor, while the other is not. A psychologist primarily aids the depressed patient through counseling and psychotherapy. He may hold a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) and be called “doctor,” but is not a medical doctor (M.D.).

A psychiatrist, on the other hand, is a medical doctor, and while he may also perform psychotherapy, he can additionally prescribe medications and perform medical procedures such as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) or transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).

At the monent there are no Acts or Regulations governing clinical psychologist practice in Malaysia but in general one needs the appropriate post graduate level.

(See blog. http://counselingpsychologyinmalaysia.wordpress.com/2008/10/04/how-can-i-practice-as-a-clinical-psychologist-in-malaysia/. and http://counselingpsychologyinmalaysia.wordpress.com/for-professionals/how-to-be-licensed-as-a-counselorpsychologist-in-malaysia/how-to-be-a-psychologist-in-malaysia/. )

Similarly, there are no licensing of Psychotherapists in Malaysia but there is an organization called the Malaysian Psychotherapists Association who provides guidelines on how to be a Psychotherapist. See link here from this website. http://www.malaysianpsychotherapy.net/mpa/index.htm. The association also conducts the postgraduate diploma in psychotherapy and generally a degree or advance diploma in psychotherapy approved by JPA is required for entry into the postgraduate diploma.

However, before practice one must study first, and the Malaysian Psychological Association helps by have a page listing of some education provider. However, there are other avenues such as OUM and linguistic council. When choosing, the student should ask themselves if there are learning for knowledge to improve their range of skills and interest OR if they intend to practice as a psychologist. A post graduate qualification is require to practice.

Some education options in Malaysia are as follows;

1. SEGI Diploma & 4+0 Degree in Psychology


2. International Medical University – B.Sc.(hons) in Psychology


3. LIguistic Council –Diploma in Psychology and Diploma in Learning Disorder 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s